Saturday, August 10, 2013

Egg Muffins to Lose the Muffin Top



I love anything that can be made ahead for a later meal. When I saw my friend Cindy make these breakfast egg muffins, I knew I instantly had to make them! I was definitely not disappointed. They were so full of flavor, the egg was delicate and the Parmesan cheese was perfectly dispersed into every bite. They are good hot, good cold, and hold in the fridge for a few days. I however, do not like the name "Egg Muffin". I don't know, it just make me think of odd pastries with pieces of scrambled egg. So I renamed them mini quiche. It sounds cute, like me. :)

I urge you to give these a try. Change the flavorings to whatever you'd like. The possibilities are endless!


Mini Spinach & Mushroom Quiche

6 egg whites
2 whole eggs
1c. diced mushrooms
½ yellow onion diced
1 large handful of spinach, roughly chopped
½c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2tsp Olive oil

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-In a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. Once the olive oil is hot, cook the onion until just translucent. This should take 1-2 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and sauté until they become soft. This should take another 1-2 minutes. Then add in the spinach and remove from heat. The spinach will wilt from the residual heat in the pan.

-In a bowl, whisk the egg whites + 2 eggs until they become fluffy.

-Add the Parmesan cheese into the spinach mixture.

-Evenly distribute the spinach mixture in 10 silicone muffin cups. The mixture should fill them about half-way.

-Pour the beaten eggs over the top of the spinach mixture, filling the muffin cups to the top.

-Bake the quiche for about 20mins. Until the edges are starting to turn golden, and the egg has become set. Remove and let cool.
Makes 10
Serving size 2
Nutrition facts per serving:
Total Fat: 8.8g Calories: 160g Carbs: 5.5g Protein: 14.7g

No comments:

Post a Comment